Tuesday, November 01, 2005

my pal Graham runs Snowdonia marathon

my pal graham ran the Snowdonia marathon in 3hrs 40
just a 2weeks after Abingdon marathon in 3hrs 20

see http://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/main/w-snowdoniamarathon-prov_results.pdf

Hi all,



Here is a bit of my race report:

Cracking day out in deepest, darkest Snowdonia. Glad I made the effort now, well I am home now :-)

When I got up this morning it was persisting down here in Chester. When we got to Snowdon, it was even wetter! Rain drops like golf balls.

I could not find the guy whose number I was supposed to have and he had already picked it up. Thankfully, they had a few places left for late comers, so I registered.

By the time I got to the start my whole family was soaked with me and I was shivering. I almost cracked, but then I remembered I am destined to be an ultra-runner :-)

First 4 miles up hill! I met with a friend who is a sub 3er. He was going slowly, so I knew it was going to be a toughy. He paced me to 14.5 where I had the obligatory half way pee and said goodbye to him.

The whole thing got tougher until we reached past 21 and the climb from the pit of hell, but it could not deter me.... Though I did run/walk at that point.

At 23 a guy encouraged me to keep on and do not walk so I ran with him to the end. The next 3+ miles was all down hill, in the mud. Very slippy and very fast, but so cool to run. My last 2 miles were at 7:30 pace. Well impressed myself! :-)

A couple of guys had obviously slipped and fallen at the end, as they were covered in mud. The race is available on DVD, so I must get it as there was a camera at this point.

Best bit, a guy with bi-lateral leg amputation finished the race and came down that hill! Amazing! Spoke to him after and he admited he slipped over. What a runner!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home